Code enforcement is a critical tool for preventing vacancy and abandonment. As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic communities will experience an increase in foreclosures, evictions, and property deterioration as federal, state, and local governments have placed moratoriums on foreclosures and evictions resulting in deferred payments, as owners defer needed maintenance due to reduced disposable income. Code enforcement traditionally plays an important role in maintaining safe and healthy housing, and its role will become more pronounced given these new dynamics. Strategic code enforcement goes beyond property inspections and notices, instead weaving together regulation, policy, cost recovery, and “carrots and sticks” in the context of market realities.
- Lessons learned from 2008 Great Recession and assumptions for the future
- What is strategic code enforcement
- How can strategic code enforcement prevent property decline caused by the COVID-19 crisis
- Using neighborhood conditions to inform effective, efficient and equitable code enforcement strategies
- REALTORS® as partners in preventing vacancy and abandonment